To celebrate World Gin Day this Saturday 9th June, we’ve put together an exquisitely British Earl Grey Gin & Tonic using our Devonshire Tea Earl Grey.
Our Earl Grey is a fragrant blend of teas from ethical estates in India, delicately-scented with the citrus aroma of Bergamot.
Gin and tea are two of our favourite things, so we thought that World Gin Day was a perfect excuse to pay homage to our two favourite pastimes.
Did you know…
The Earl Grey blend is supposedly named after Charles Grey, 2nd Earl Grey, British Prime Minister in the 1830s and author of the Reform Bill of 1832. He was said to have received a gift of tea infused with bergamot oil.
For the Earl Grey syrup:
- 3 x Devonshire Tea Earl Grey teabags
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of water
For the cocktail:
- 50ml Gin of your choice (we like Salcombe Gin)
- 200ml Tonic of your choice (we like Luscombe’s)
- Ice & lemon for garnish (optional)
- Pop your glasses in the freezer.
- To make the Earl Grey syrup, put the Devonshire Tea Earl Grey teabags, sugar and water in a pan and simmer for 15-20 mins on the hob until the mixture thickens and becomes slightly syrup-like.
- Take a chilled glass and add some ice. Add 50ml of gin, 200ml of tonic and as much syrup as you wish, depending on level of flavour you desire.
We always love to see how you drink your tea, especially in a cocktail! Don’t forget to share your creations by tagging @devonshiretea